Monday, March 16, 2009

RIP - The Rev. Hal Marchman... Shalom and Amen

I just read on several websites that the Reverend, Hal Marchman has passed away.

In 1959, shortly after becoming the Pastor of a Baptist congregation in the Daytona Beach area, Rev. Hal Marchman was asked by his friend to say the invocation (opening prayer) at an upcoming event that the friend was hosting. The friend was Bill France Sr., founding member and President of NASCAR; The event was the 500-mile stock car race at the newly built Daytona International Speedway, an event now known as the innaugural Daytona 500.

Marchman said the prayer that day and continued saying the opening prayer at each year's Daytona 500 for 45 more years. Marchman retired from his role at the track after the 2004 Daytona 500. He had been fighting dementia and memory loss for several years, but a sudden bout of illness ended his life, according to his daughter Anne Marchman-Jones.

On a personal note: when I started watching NASCAR, we began the tradition of standing up for the prayer at the beginning of each race, even though we were watching at home. Over time, there have been many men that have said many prayers before the start of the many races I've seen. The only one who stands out to me is Rev. Hal Marchman. I feel honored to have been in attendance for his final time saying the invocation.

Memorably, he closed every Daytona 500 invocation with a word of peace for those in the Jewish community. Why, I'm not sure. Regardless, I feel that it is only fitting to close the blog the same way...

God, I ask that you would be with the family of Hal Marchman. I ask that you grant them peace and comfort in this time of grief. I thank you for Hal's life and for all the work you did through him. May his life story ever be a testimony to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray...
SHALOM AND AMEN



Rest in Peace
The Reverend - Hal Marchman
1919-2009

No comments: