Sunday, May 25, 2008

Church: What is it?

If you were to walk up to most anybody and ask them what image comes to mind when you say the word "church" which of the following images do you think would come to their mind...






Example 1












Example 2












Example 3













Example 4







If you chose "Example 1", you have chosen wisely. Now I'll ask you another question. Which of these is a church? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?? If you chose "Example 1", you have chosen poorly. Don't feel bad though, cause if you had chosen any of the other three you would have been incorrect as well. How could you have been wrong if you chose "Example 1"? The simple answer is that "a church" is not a building.

In the Scriptures, the Greek word ekklesia (or ecclesia) has been translated as the the English word "church". This word literally means a "gathering" of citizens, in an ancient Greek city-state, or a "called-out assembly"; usually defined as "gathering of the called-out ones" or “gathering of those summoned”.

When we read this word in the Scripture, it never refers to a place. It always refers to the body of Christ. If we, being those of us who are called out to serve Christ, are the body of Christ, then that means that "the church" is never a place. That means I am a part of the church.

If we look at the word "church" in this context, does it ever make sense to say any of the following:

- I'm going to church.
- What time does church start?
- I don't want to miss church.
- (Insert sentence using the word "church" to refer to a place <--- here)

Of course not! How do you go to church if you are already in the church? When does "church" stop??? How do you miss "church" if you are always in it?

The fact is that none of this "church = time and place" stuff would make sense to Jesus or the disciples. A wiser man once said to me that church is not about time and place, but church is about times and places.

One more question for you. Out of the pictures above, which of them shows a place where the church (the body of Christ) gathers? The correct answer is all of them. Whether it be at a building designated specifically for the gathering of believers in Wyandotte, a Starbucks in Dearborn, a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Royal Oak, or a pub in Taylor, the body of Christ gathers frequently at all of these places. These are all places where I have gone and had deep, meaningful experiences with Jesus and my fellow believers.

So the next time you sleep in on a Sunday morning there is no reason think that you have failed to meet regularly with your Christian brothers and sister, especially if you had coffee with a few of them on Tuesday, went to watch one of them play in a band at the pub on Thurday, and watched the hockey game with them on Saturday. If you're all fully devoted to Jesus, then it's highly likely that he was glorified during your times together.

On that note, I'm going to bed so I can meet with Aaron at Starbucks "Church" before I go meet up with Ryan at his house "Church". (<---sarcasm filled sentence went here)

Good day all.

4 comments:

KayMac said...

A rose is a rose. Good post Jon, although I must admit that I am not offended by the word "church" referring to a building. I know that people can go to "church" and can be or not be the "church". And people can go to "church" at Starbucks while being the "church" or not. And people can talk about being the "church" without acting like "the church" or glorifying our "Senior Pastor" Jesus. For me, the heart of the matter is to love the "church" like crazy, no matter where I find her or what she calls herself....because the "church" is the beloved of my Beloved!!

Margie said...

That was a great post. I have been here before but Kaymac brought me back. You need to post more.

I like to think that where I go, "church" could just break out anywhere... I'm always already worshipping...

http://dominusnovo.blogspot.com/ said...

Kathy: I too am not offended by the use of the word "church" referring to a building, however I think it's worth considering the implications and the problems that can and have come from using that word out of it's proper context.

Margie: "I like to think that where I go, "church" could just break out anywhere" I love the way you worded that. I think you may have foreshadowed where I think I'm headed with this conversation ;)

Mike Edwards said...

I would add that just being around one another (whether a lot or a little) also doesn't make us 'the church,' per se either. The church, as God's called out people are called to clear missional activities (discipleship training, gathering for the Lord's supper, serving our neighbors, etc.) and without such things working in concert together, it's a hard case to identify any other assembly as 'the church.'

Good thoughts H