Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Why I Hate Church Denominations

I have been involved in the "church world" for all of my 24 years of existence. For the first 20 or so years of my life I was involved in the Free Will Baptist (FWB) "Church" that my parents raised me in. When you are raised as strictly in the church as I was, you are kind of brainwashed into believing whatever you are taught. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Much of what I was taught throughout my early and teen years was true. However, there were certain things that were taught and believed that were not in line with the Scripture. These things were taught because it was what the National Association of Free Will Baptists (NAFWB) dictated to be true. All of these things were based on Scripture in some form, but only in the sense that it was how the powers that be in the NAFWB saw fit to interpret the Scripture.

When I got to a certain point in life I began to read the Scripture for myself, not in the light of FWB interpretation, but in the light of Scripture for Scripture. When I did this, God revealed to me in his own words what He thought about many topics that the FWB teaching did not agree with what the Scripture teaches.

Unfortunately, many people are still in this realm of believing what is dictated to them instead of reading the Scripture and actually taking God at His Word. Have you ever wondered why Scripture would say something that seemed contradictory to what your denomination teaches? I sure did. From some simple do's and don'ts to important theological truths, the FWB had brainwashed me into believing what they said about any particular topic.

In the end, I am not saying that denominations are bad or that you should not be a part of a denominational body of believers. I am simply encouraging anyone who happens to read this to challenge what you're taught in the light of the Scripture. Does it line up with the whole of Scripture. Sure, a verse or two on any given subject could be used to make a doctrinal position but when you put 20 or 30 verses together does the doctrine still hold up? Seek out God in His word for yourself and do not be deceived my man's interpretation. If you do this God will show up and likely rock your world by breaking down the walls of wrong teaching and doctrine and He will probably change the way you think on many teachings you now hold dear.

I think that my next post will be about how it is not even Biblical to "go to church". Think on that for a couple of days. Leave any questions and/or comments after the tone...

(The Tone)

2 comments:

Margie said...

that was great too! I guess I haven't checked back in a while.

what was it that they taught you that was so different than what you read?

http://dominusnovo.blogspot.com/ said...

They taught that the gifts of the Spirit, tounges in particular was only for the apostles and their time.

They taught that we choose God instead of God choosing us.

They taught that once you were born again you could lose your salvation.

They taught that all alcohol use is sin.

These are few of the teachings that I don't see being in line with the Scripture.