Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ring of Honor: My WrestleMania Warm-Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My brother and I just got home from our WrestleMania warm up event. Philadelphia's Ring of Honor presented "All Star Extravaganza III". Over all it was a great show and I truly enjoyed watching some of the young guns of wrestling go at it before the WWE machine gets them and makes them sports entertainers.

This one tag team, the Briscoe Brothers won the ROH Tag Team Titles from some Japanese guys. The kicker here was that one of the Briscoes (Mark Briscoe) was legitamately injured when he landed on his head attempting a flip out on to the concrete floor. Early reports say that he suffered a severe concussion. His tag partner Jay Briscoe finished the match and won the Tag Titles for his brother.

Some TNA stars were on hand and involved in the event. Chris Sabin, Alex Shelly, Homicide, Austin Aries, and Christopher Daniels. The biggest surprise of the night was a special appearance by James E. Cornette! Cornette worked the mic as me and my brother marked out hard for the Louisville Slugger.

The best part of the night was not a match but a man. Signing autographs at the show was the two-time former WWE (WWWF) Champion, BRUNO SAMMARTINO! Bruno was an incredibly nice man and took the time to talk to and shake the hand of everyone who came up for his autograph. I got an autographed Classic Superstars action figure and my brother got an 8 by 10.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

During the show, Bruno entered the ring and talked about his disgust for the current wrestling product on TV and he praised ROH for bringing honor and respect back to the sport of wrestling. As Bruno was wrapping up a loud mouthed manager, Larry Sweeney and his wrestler Chris Hero came and started smart mouthing Bruno. Bruno was outnumbered when another ROH star, Nigel McGuinness came and took care of Hero and then held Sweeney while Bruno laid him out. A great moment to be a part of for sure.

Although no digital cameras were allowed I tried to take a few pics of Bruno and Jim Cornette w/ a throw away. I'll add them to this blog when I get them developed.

Thank you Bruno Sammartino for pioneering the sport I enjoy the most. Your contributions to pro-wrestling will never be forgotten.

2 comments:

Starla said...

That's cool, are you guys staying at a hotel? Sorry I missed your call yesterday.

Anonymous said...

It's awesome that you went to the ROH show! I'm hoping to attend an ROH show someday.

I wish CM Punk and Samoa Joe would go running back to ROH where they're appreciated. I loved the Punk/Joe trilogy matches that I've seen.

I would've marked out over Cornette too. I love how he's so blunt and intelligent when it comes to the wrestling business. I've always called him the walking wrestling encyclopedia.

I don't think this is the first time Mark Briscoe has botched the Shooting Star Press. Maybe he should stop doing it before he kills himself! LOL