Sunday, July 13, 2008

Parodeities

What?! Yes, I know that's barely a word but it is a subject that I must discuss. A parodeity is a secular piece of music retrofitted with Christian lyrics. There are websites devoted to providing "Jesus lyrics" to "secular" music and there are bands that go around touring using the tunes to classic songs by Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and almost any other band you can think of. You should know where I'm going with this...

The Beatles, the greatest musical group of all time, wrote a little piece of music called "Yesterday." It's lyrics go as follows:

"Yesterday,
All my troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they're here to stay,
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
I'm not half the man I used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over me,
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why she
Had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.
I said,
Something wrong, now I long for yesterday."

There is a parodeity of this most famous tune called "Christmas Day". It's lyrics are as follows...

"Christmas day, all the angels came to Earth to say,
Glory to God, peace on Earth today,
It was a sight, on Christmas day

Suddenly, shepherds told by angels had to see
Joseph and Mary's little baby
This Christmas Day, a jubilee

Chorus:
God and man on Earth, by His birth
the Angels say
Sang it really strong, Angel's song,
On Christmas Day"

...

I'm slightly at a loss of something nice to say...

All I can say is that this is not good in any way, shape, or form. The song already brings glory to God in it's original form. God made us with the ability to express ourselves creatively. When someone creates music, it is a reflection (albeit imperfect) of the Creator who gave us the ability to do so. This song does NOT "need Jesus in it"; God is already partially reflected in the beauty of this song.

People, human beings need Jesus. Music, movies, and other THINGS cannot be Christian. People can be Christians. Period.

Some of the same things my boy Mike said about "Christian" T-Shirts, could be applied here. Check out his blog about said shirts.

Anyway, that is my rant for this Whatever Weekend.

No comments: